Industrial process for glass-ceramic device manufacturing through vat photopolymerization (VPP)
Project title: Industrial process for glass-ceramic device manufacturing through vat photopolymerization (VPP)
Recruiting and hosting institution: Lithoz GmbH
PhD enrollment: Faculty of Medicine and Health Technology, Tampere University, Tampere, Finland. For more information regarding the Doctoral Programme in Medicine, Biosciences and Biomedical Engineering, please visit https://www.tuni.fi/en/study-with-us/doctoral-programme-medicine-biosciences-and-biomedical-engineering.
Supervisors: Lithoz GmbH (AT): Martin Schwentenwein, Tampere University (FI), Jonathan Massera
Objectives: To develop materials and establish the corresponding 3D process for fabricating personalized bone-substitute implants from bioresorbable ceramic/glasses by VPP technology
Expected Results: Development of an optimized VPP fabrication processes and the corresponding materials for 3D printing of bone scaffolds based on bioceramics and bioglass. Fabrication of microstructured bioceramic and bioglass scaffolds via VPP 3D printing to achieve minimal intrinsic defects and high geometrical fidelity for the selected clinical cases.
Description: DC6 position is about investigating the following aspects
- Development of photocurable ceramic and bioglass suspensions that act as feedstock for the VPP 3D printing process that will be used;
- Operating a bespoke 3D printer for VPP of ceramic materials and the corresponding establishment of process parameters for the fabrication of complex and highly resolved scaffold designs;
- Establishing process parameters for the thermal post-processing (debinding and sintering) of the 3D printed ceramic and bioglass scaffolds.
The Doctoral Candidates will interact with other members of the project’s DCs in a multidisciplinary setting by taking part in training sessions and workshops. Each DC will also conduct secondments at other member institutions of the REBONE consortium in order to broaden her/his scientific understanding of the project’s subject and develop soft skills.
Required profile/research interests:
- Master’s degree in Biomedical Engineering, Materials Engineering or related fields.
- The degree must be completed with good grades, latest by the start of the recruitment.
- Proficiency in the English language (both written and spoken): CAMBRIDGE ≥ FCE grade B (or equivalent).
- Good communication skills and the ability to work as a part of a team and independently.
The successful candidates will receive an attractive salary in accordance with the MSCA regulations for Doctoral Researchers for a 3-year contract (full time employment, 38.5 hours/week). The salary includes a living allowance (gross amount: €3 614,20 per month), plus a mobility allowance (€600 per month), and a family allowance (€650 per month if applicable). The precise (net) salary will be confirmed upon appointment.
In addition, such a monthly salary, all REBONE fellows will benefit from a wide range of training and mentoring activities, which includes secondments to be organised at the premises of the REBONE Beneficiaries and Associated Partners, as well as of a wide variety of training modules (related to both scientific and transferable skills).
Where to request additional information for this position:
Dr. Martin SCHWENTENWEIN, firstname.lastname@example.org
In order to complete the application procedure please prepare in advance the following documents:
- Application summary and Privacy consent (pdf file, please download the form HERE)
- CV using the European template (pdf file)
- List of publications (pdf file, free format)
- Copy of up to three selected publications, if available (zip file with three selected publications)
- Certificate of English language (pdf file)
- Signed copy of Identity card/Passport (pdf file)
- Motivation letters (pdf file)
- Two recommendation letters (zip file with two pdf)
- A research proposal: A document with no more than 8000 characters (excluding Bibliography) describing a potential research activity pertinent to the specific topic of the DC to be recruited. Figures and tables are allowed. Template provided. (pdf file, please download the template HERE)